In Q1 ’23 a new National Coffee Competition began in South Australia, which quickly cemented itself on the coffee calendar as an event not to be missed!
Hosted by the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia ( RA&HS), this new competition :
– counts with independent and experienced coffee judges drawn from all over Australia
– offers strictly enforced blind tasting of all coffee exhibits
– is backed up by the strength, absolute integrity and experience of ACTA
– continues the deeply respected credibility and history of RA&HS
– provides the eventual winners with a prestigious RA&HS coffee award, boosting and enhancing their profile within the highly competitive Australian market – a great reason to compete.
Australia’s coffee industry can now celebrate a new benchmark in coffee quality.
Once again for 2024 RA&HS & ACTA have joined forces to offer coffee roasters an opportunity for their product to be judged within a neutral, independent and quality focussed setting . Whether you love fruity Ethiopian notes, or the rich succulent molasses found in Colombian coffee, this is a coffee competition where roasters of all sizes can compete and stand out in Australia’s finest coffee show. The best espresso blends are also welcome, as well as Piccolo blends, lattés or plunger lovers. The panels of thirsty judges will be looking forward to savouring it all.
This new coffee competition :
– raises Australia’s coffee quality benchmark.
– ensures all coffee exhibits are reviewed by experienced coffee industry judges only.
– checks that all entries are also blind tasted only.
– places coffees into roast level groups for more accurate evaluation.
For the inaugural coffee competition in 2023, over 300 exhibits were received which was a very positive result, firmly cementing the Adelaide Competition as a key date in the annual coffee calendar. 11 Gold, 30 Silver and 58 Bronze medals were subsequently awarded, a marvelous testament to the high quality of the roasted coffees presented.
The key dates for 2024 will be as follows:
– Entries open Friday 12th January
– Entries close Monday 26th February
– Delivery of exhibits Wednesday 20th March to Friday 22nd of March
– Judging Dates Monday 25th March to Wednesday 27th of March
– Awards presented Friday 19th April 2024
Established in 2013 by Melbourne Royal®, the Australian International Coffee Awards is the only international roasting competition in Australia. In 2020, the competition received more than 800 entries from over 180 exhibitors from around the world.
The Australian International Coffee Awards receives entries from countries around the world including New Zealand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Korea, Singapore, Canada, the USA and UK.
Boasting a membership base of 12,000 people, the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (RAS) is responsible for conducting the Sydney Royal Easter Show and the Sydney Royal Wine, Dairy and Fine Food Shows.
Exhibits are judged on visual appearance, aroma and taste. The Competition is held in August every year as part of the Sydney Royal Fine Food Show. Coffee roasters who are interested in entering can contact the Wine Dairy and Fine Food Coordinator on (02) 9704 1353 for further information.
To stay true to the RAS charter and vision, the Sydney Royal Fine Food Show has also enforced since 2021 a higher Australian grown ingredients minimum to the coffee and chocolate categories in a bid to support the growth of the Australian chocolate and coffee industries. These two competitions will now fall under the Specialty Foods category. All Sydney Royal entries must be derived from 85 – 100% Australian grown ingredients, depending on the class and validity of added ingredients being available in Australia.
REWARDING EXCELLENCE IN AUSTRALIAN AGRICULTURE A division of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW ABN 69 793 644 351 Sydney Showground, 1 Showground Road, Sydney Olympic Park NSW 2127 t 02 9704 1111 f 02 9704 1122 www.sydneyroyalshows.com.au